The  Construction  Enforcement  Department issues building permits and the related trades permits.  The new online construction permitting system will significantly enhance the permitting process for customers.  However, customers may still come into the Customer Service Counter in City Hall or at the East Office on Mullins Station Road to obtain permits in person and to discuss any building or zoning code issues with the Division's staff. 

Residential Building Permits
  • Residential Accessory Structure Permit
  • Residential Alteration Permit
  • Residential Addition Permit
  • Residential New Construction Permit
  • Demolition Permit
Commercial Building Permits
  • Commercial New Construction Permit
  • Commercial Addition Permit
  • Certificate of Occupancy
  • Demolition Permit
  • Commercial Alteration Permit
  • Commercial Accessory Structure Permit
Electrical Permits
  • Residential Electrical Permit
  • Commercial Electrical Permit
Mechanical Permits
  • Residential Mechanical Permits
  • Commercial Mechanical Permits
Plumbing Permits
  • Residential Plumbing Permit
  • Commercial Plumbing Permit
Special Events Permits
  • Special Events Permits
Signs (Permanent)
  • Signs
Elevator Permits
  • Elevator Permits
Frequently Asked Questions

What are permit regulations?

Any owner, authorized agent, or contractor who desires to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure; erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert, or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system; or cause any such work to be done shall first hire or cause to hire a licensed and/or registered contractor.

The contractor shall first submit an application to the building official and obtain the required permit for the work. Building permits may be issued to the property and building owners when so allowed by the Memphis and Shelby County technical codes boards and State of Tennessee Contractors’ License Laws.

Separate permits are required for building, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, heating, ventilation, air conditioning, sprinklers, underground fire service, and signs.

The permits required for electrical, mechanical, plumbing, heating, ventilation, air conditioning, sprinklers, fire protection, medical gas, medical air, and vacuum must be obtained by a licensed and bonded contractor.

How long are permits good for?

This permit becomes null and void if work or construction authorized is not commenced within six months, or work or construction is suspended or abandoned for a period of six months after work is commenced.

Work shall be considered suspended if an approved inspection has not been made within a six-month period. Issuance of permit shall not be held to permit, or to be an approval of, the violation of any provisions of any county ordinance / resolution or state laws.

How long does it typically take to receive a review decision for a permit application?

The average turn-around time is 7 to 20 working days.

What is the cost to renew an expired permit?

Should a permit expire, you must start the process over by submitting all required documents and plans with a new building permit application and plan review fee.

What is the process to extend a permit?

Send a letter or complete an online form requesting to extend the permit beyond 180 days.

What methods can we apply for the permit?

Anyone designated by the owner can apply in person or via mail/FedEx/UPS and online.  Apply online at the Develop 901 Citizen Portal.  Registration is required.

Who can pick up the permit?

Only the general contractor, licensed in the State of Tennessee can pick up the permit.

Is the permit application available online?

The application is available online. Please apply by visiting the Develop 901 Citizen Portal. You may also call (901) 222-8411 to have a blank permit application mailed to your address, or visit our office.


Once the permit is ready to be issued, can it be emailed or sent via FedEx/UPS, or do we have to pick it up in person?

At this time, the permit must be picked up in person by a licensed State of Tennessee general contractor.

When do I need an electrical, mechanical, or plumbing permit?

Permits are required for a project that includes plumbing, mechanical, or electrical work, including low-voltage. For additional information on requirements, call the numbers below or apply online at

Plumbing: 901-222-8398

Mechanical: 901-222-8396

Electrical: 901-222-8395