How do I apply for the Rehabilitation Program?
Contact Ms. Antoinette Knowlton at (901) 222-7605 for pre-screening and to receive an application or download an application here.
Be prepared to submit the following with an application:
1) Proof of income for each person in the household that is over 18. If employed, (6) six most recent check stubs or employer printout SS, SSI, Retirement, and/or Pension (award letter).
2) Proof of current mortgage in the form of most recent statement showing the next due date, last payment, escrow, and any late charges.
3) Proof of current homeowners insurance in the form of a copy of insurance policy showing current coverage dates.
Can I complete a Shelby County Department of Housing program application online?
Please check the webpage for the specific Housing program that interests you. You will find an application that can be downloaded on that page or contact information for how to have an application sent to you. Completed applications cannot be returned via email.
When will work start on my house?
From the time of application approval, the process could take at least 2.5 months before work is started on your home.
If Shelby County Department of Housing does work on my home, do I have to pay for it?
If you are approved for work on your home through the Shelby County Rehabilitation Program, you will not pay for anything or pay back anything unless you want to sell the house within the lien period. For the Rehabilitation Program, the lien period if 5 years.
Can I have the contractor of my choice for the work done on my home?
No. All projects are bid out to certified contractors in a competitive sealed bid process.
When will the lien on my home be released?
If you had work done on your home through the Lead Hazard Control Program, contact Ms. Sydney Wright at (901)222-7601.
Who do I call if I have a Fair Housing complaint?
To file a complaint, contact the Tennessee Human Rights Commission.
How do I get help with my tenant landlord issues?
If you are seeking legal assistance contact Memphis Area Legal Services at 901-523-8822 or The Memphis Fair Housing Center at 901-432-4663.
How do I get information about a Subordination Agreement?
Contact Mr. Israel Henry at (901) 222-7616.
I live in the City of Memphis; how do I get help?
If you live in the City of Memphis, you may qualify for the Shelby County Lead Hazard Control Program. Contact Mr. Safranski Durr at (901) 222-7603 for more information or click on the Lead Program tab.
Only citizens in Shelby County outside of the city of Memphis may qualify for the Shelby County Rehabilitation Program.
Other organizations that you may contact:
Habitat for Humanity- Aging in Place Program: (901) 322-3500
MLGW- Project Care: (901) 528-4188
City of Memphis- Weatherization Assistance Program: (901) 636-7366
MIFA- Various Family Programs: (901) 527-0208
How do I become a contractor?
Visit our Employment & Contracting Opportunities page or contact Tom Fletcher at (901) 222-7608.
Can I submit an application for Section 8 housing?
The Shelby County Department of Housing does not administer a Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) Program. Contact the Memphis Housing Authority for information on their Housing Choice Voucher Program at (901) 544-1347.
How do I get emergency housing assistance?
The Shelby County Department of Housing does not provide emergency housing assistance.
Contact Metropolitan Interfaith Association (MIFA) to inquire about the following programs:
- Emergency Services- assists seniors on fixed incomes and the working poor who have experienced temporary crisis with rent, mortgage payments, utilities, and food. Phone: (901) 527-0226
- Emergency Shelter Placement- helps families with minor children secure temporary shelter if homelessness cannot be avoided through mediation. Phone: (901) 529-4522
- Homeless Hotline- 24-hour hotline helps connect homeless families with minor children in Memphis and Shelby County to shelter. Phone: (901) 529-4545
- Rapid Rehousing- helps eligible homeless families quickly obtain permanent stable housing. Phone: (901) 529-4524
Contact the Memphis Fair Housing Center to inquire about other emergency housing services at (901) 432-4663.
How can I get assistance with mortgage and/or utility payments?
The Shelby County Department of Housing does not provide mortgage or utility assistance. Contact the Shelby County Community Services Agency at (901) 222-4315 for information about utility assistance or (901) 535-2200 for information about mortgage/rent assistance.
Who do I contact if I have a bug or mold problem in my home?
For any type of infestation issue contact the Shelby County Health Department at 901-222-9000.
What if I have an issue that is not listed here?
For any service that is not listed, call the Shelby County 311 service by simply dialing 311. You can file a complaint and your complaint/inquiry will be routed to the proper agency.