Sustainable Workforce Initiative: Community Outreach Partners Opportunity
BLDG Memphis is seeking nonprofit Community Partners to support community outreach for the Sustainable Workforce Initiative. Through this opportunity, community associations and community development groups focused primarily in North and South Memphis will be contracted to promote Sustainable Workforce Initiative activities within their respective communities. These include opportunities for both:
- Job training and skills development for individuals already in the weatherization or contracting fields as well as upcoming students and young professionals, and
- Community and resident services related to healthy and energy-efficient housing.
Nonprofit, community-based organizations will be selected as Community Partners, and will be responsible for helping to connect residents with the various opportunities through the Sustainable Workforce Initiative as described below. The selected organizations will have access to a budget of between $3,000 and $5,000 to support community engagement activities.
Strategies used may vary by neighborhood and should include distributing project material and information through a variety of channels, such as:
- Community newsletters,
- Neighborhood networks,
- Existing neighborhood events,
- Social media, and
- Hosting training sessions on resources available through project partners.
While the project team would typically expect the inclusion of in-person events and meetings, we understand that the COVID-19 pandemic may limit those activities.
Partners are encouraged to be creative in their recommended approaches with the goal of reaching diverse segments of the community, including:
- Individuals who work outside typical office hours,
- Those facing employment barriers, and
- Non-English speaking populations.
Partners are encouraged to provide detail on their experience using online platforms for communication and reporting in their applications.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to the COVID-19 public health crisis, all Community Partners will be expected to practice distancing and personal protection for any individuals or groups involved. Participants should follow guidelines issued by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Shelby County Health Department and City of Memphis regarding social distance, gatherings, and personal protective equipment.
Community Partner Selection Process
- The application period for the first round of Community Partners opens Monday, August 31, 2020 at 9 a.m.
- Two virtual information sessions will be held at the following times during the application period:
- Wednesday, September 2, 2020 at 10:00 a.m.
- Join Via Web: Type into web browser zoom.us/join Meeting ID: 81685781826 Pass Code: 532676
- Join Via Phone: 301-715-8592 Meeting ID: 81685781826# Pass Code: 532676#
- Thursday, September 3, 2020 at 6:00 p.m.
- Join Via Web: Type into web browser zoom.us/join Meeting ID: 81778037821 Pass Code: 347502
- Join Via Phone: 301-715-8592 Meeting ID: 81778037821# Pass Code: 347502#
- Wednesday, September 2, 2020 at 10:00 a.m.
- Questions regarding the application, expectations, and the selection process can be submitted via email to engage@BLDGmemphis.org or by calling 901-725-0460. Please note that due to BLDG Memphis’ COVID-19 remote work policy it may take 1-2 business days to respond to any inquiries. All questions received during the info sessions and individually and responses will be posted at https://www.bldgmemphis.org/sustainable_workforce_initiative.
- Applications are due no later than Friday, September 25, 2020 at 5 p.m. Please submit your completed application to BLDG Memphis:
- A cross-agency Selection Committee will review the applications and select the Community Partners. This Committee will consist of representatives from the Office of Sustainability and Resilience and project partner agencies. Successful applicants will have extensive, established relationships at the neighborhood or district level and ideally, experience in community outreach and engagement.
- Community Partner selections will be announced and applicants notified by email no later than Friday, October 16, 2020 at 5 p.m.
- A required orientation session with selected partners will be held on Thursday, October 22 from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
For more information please visit this website at: https://www.bldgmemphis.org/sustainable_workforce_initiative