Function & Authority
The Memphis Board of Adjustment, (BOA) was established in 1925 by a Private Act passed by the Tennessee General Assembly. The BOA hears the following five types of requests:
- Conditional Use Permits
- Extensions of Zoning District Boundaries
- Nonconforming Use Permits
BOA Board Documents
Click here to download the current Rules of Procedure for the Board of Adjustment.
The Memphis and Shelby County Board of Adjustment is composed of eight members, each of whom serve three-year terms.
Four members are appointed by the Mayor of Shelby County and confirmed by the Shelby County Board of Commissioners
Four members are appointed by the Mayor of Memphis and confirmed by the Memphis City Council.
Meetings (Meetings are being held virtually due to COVID-19)
- Fourth Wednesday of the month at 2 PM (The Board meets the third Wednesday of November and December of each year)
- City Hall, First Floor City Council Chambers (5th Floor City Council Executive Chambers during construction)
- 125 N. Main, Memphis, TN 38103
- Staffed by Land Use and Development Services, Secretary: Josh Whitehead
Meetings of the the Board of Adjustment can be viewed on the City of Memphis' website by clicking on the "Government" tab at the bottom of the homepage, then by clicking on the "Watch Meetings Online" tab located on the far right. To view archived meetings, go to "Other Organizations" at the bottom of the page and then click the "Board of Adjustment" tab in the center of the page. To view meetings live, go to "Upcoming Meetings." You can also view Board of Adjustment meetings on the Division of Planning and Development's YouTube channel here.
Agendas & Minutes
|Most Recent Agenda||View All|
|Most Recent Minutes||View All|