Down Payment Assistance Program Overview
Shelby County's Down Payment Assistance (DPA) Program assists low and moderate income individuals in covering a portion of their down payment and closing costs associated with purchasing a home. The home that you buy may be either an existing home or a newly constructed home anywhere within the boundaries of Shelby County as long as the purchase price does not exceed $200,160. Up to $3,500 is available as a 5% fixed rate loan and repayment terms can extend up to 10 years (120 months). Debt ratios must not exceed 33% Front End/45% Back End.
Program Requirements & Eligibility
- The purchaser must invest a minimum of $500 of his/her own funds.
- The home being purchased must be located within Shelby County.
- Purchasers must be able to qualify for either THDA, FHA, VA,or Conventional Financing.
- Purchasers need a good credit history, stable employment, and must complete a certified Homebuyer Education Class.
- You must also meet minimum and maximum income limit requirements by family size as shown in the chart below.
|Number in Household||Up to 2||3 or more|
Do you have questions about the DPA program
For more information contact the Shelby County Department of Housing at 901-222-7600 weekdays between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Ask to speak with a Down Payment Assistance Loan Counselor. A Counselor can answer any questions that you may have and will be able to provide you with further information on the Down Payment Assistance Program.
Housing Rehabilitation Program
The Shelby County Housing Rehabilitation Program is for improving housing conditions for low and moderate-income families in Shelby County outside the city limits of Memphis by correcting health and safety hazards and code violations.
The rehabilitation program is intended to :
- Reduce unsafe, unsanitary housing conditions
- Encourage neighborhood preservation, neighborhood reinvestment, and to promote community pride
- Improve the housing conditions of low and moderate income owner occupants, and
- Correct housing code violations
The Rehabilitation Program assists homeowners' who live outside of the City of Memphis and within Shelby County. Applicants must live either in Arlington, Bartlett, Collierville, Germantown, Unincorporated Memphis/Shelby County, or Millington. You must also meet HUD income requirements as shown in the chart below.
|Household Size||Income Level|
Do you have questions about the Housing Rehabilitation Program
Some answers to your questions can be found under the Frequently Asked Questions section of this page. If more information is needed, please contact Antoinette Knowlton at 901-222-7605 weekdays between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. for pre-screening and to receive an application or download an application here. Ms. Knowlton can answer any questions that you may have and will be able to provide you with further information on the Housing Rehabilitation Program.
Rehabilitation Program Awards
Contact Tom Fletcher at 901-222-7608 with questions regarding rehabilitation program awards. Click here to see this calendar year's program awards.